When most people think of QuickBooks in the Cloud they think of QuickBooks Online: the web version of QuickBooks. But many companies want the benefits of the Cloud without sacrificing the robust features included with “desktop” versions of QuickBooks Pro, Premier, Enterprise, and Accountant.
Thankfully, the days when the desktop versions of QuickBooks were installed on a desktop computer are over. Today’s businesses choose to host desktop versions of QuickBooks and their critical financial data and files in the Cloud. By hosting QuickBooks on a private server in a top-tier data center your QuickBooks files and data are secure and accessible anytime, anywhere, from any Windows, Apple, or Android device.
So, is there a best version of QuickBooks for the Cloud? NO. It is whatever “online” or “desktop” version of QuickBooks that best fits your business requirements.
Here is a Summary of the different features of QuickBooks Pro, Premier, Enterprise, and Accountant:
QuickBooks Pro is great for service industry business, because you can track sales and create invoices. You can pay bills and write checks directly from the software. You can keep track of products sold, monies owed, and payment time. QuickBooks Pro is recommended for businesses with revenues up to 1 million.
Pro can support up to three users with the option of purchasing two additional licenses. You get tech support for the first 30 days and after that you can purchase a QuickBooks customer support plan for more assistance.
Features of QuickBooks Pro:
- Recording banking transactions
- Creating invoices
- Generating financial statements
- Accounts receivable
- Create purchase orders
- Manage sales tax
- Manage multiple currencies
- Create estimates
- Generate more than 100 financial reports
QuickBooks Premier is often used for manufacturing, retail, wholesale, professional services, contractors and nonprofits organizations. Premier works for large businesses. There are different industry versions available for retail, manufacturing, non-profit, professional services, and contractors. Revenues are under 1 million and less than 20 employees. And, you can customize QuickBooks Premier to meet your organizations needs.
You get tech support for first 30 days and can purchase additional licenses if you have more than five users. Great for managing business finances.
Features of QuickBooks Premier include:
- All features of QuickBooks Pro
- Creating sales orders
- Purchase orders
- Back orders
- Setting price levels, bank reconciliation reports
- Balance sheet report by department or location
- Track inventory
- Forecasting and business planning
- More than 150 reports
- Create and print deposit slips
- Import data from previous version of QuickBooks
- Bill and track clients by time, date, product,
or percentage completion
With Enterprise you can tack over 100,000 customers and vendors with up to 30 users. Enterprise is an ERP solution. For businesses with annual revenues of more than $1 million and 20 to 250 employees with the option of adding up to five more users for additional fees.
There is room for up to 1 million accounts for customers, vendors, and employees combined. You can get different versions for specific industries including nonprofit organizations, manufacturing and wholesale, accountant, contractor, retail, or general business.
With the annual subscription you get unlimited tech support 24x7x365 days of the year. Including free upgrade to new Enterprise version, and online data backup.
Features of QuickBooks Enterprise include:
- All the features of QuickBooks Pro and Premier
- Faster processing
- More transactions
- Reports for subsidiary companies
- Granular user permission
- Multiple location tracking and reporting
- Mobile inventory bar code scanning
- 150+ industry reports and tools you can customize
- Advanced inventory (multiple location bin, lot and serial tracking, bar-code scanning)
- Advanced pricing (9 unlimited pricing and discount rules)
- Advance Reporting (custom reports)
- Enhanced Payroll.
As the name suggests this version is best for professional bookkeepers and accountants. QuickBooks Accountant includes all the features found in Pro, and Premier but with an accountant’s toolbox. You can have two company files open at the same time, enter batch transactions, and run client data reviews. The ability to review client files in included in the QuickBooks
There are two ProAdvisor membership levels, deluxe and premium. The deluxe membership includes access to QuickBooks Accountant DesktopPlus. The premium membership includes QuickBooks Accountant Desktop Plus and QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise Accountant. Both membership levels include several features bookkeepers and accountants need to manage their client’s books.
Features of QuickBooks Accountant Desktop Plus:
- Batch entry transactions
- Batch delete or void transactions
- Open two companies at the same time
- Toggle between editions of QuickBooks like Pro and Premier industry-specific editions
- Run a working trial balance report
- Manage fixed assets
- Client data reviews
- All the features of QuickBooks Pro and Premier
Features of QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise Accountant:
- All the features of QuickBooks Enterprise
- Review client’s data
- Batch reclassification of multiple transactions
- Create journal entries
- Store passwords securely
- Organize files by client